My daughter received an external hard drive in March as a gift and it worked well for about a month in 3 different desktop computers before it began to act up. The device wouldn't spin up, the computers that once recognized it couldn't see the device when attached via USB 2.0 according to Western Digital's recommendations. Currently my daughter and I have tried this device on 4 different computers (including the ones that previously recognized it) and none will now recognize it. In essence all of her work is inaccessible and the Passport is an expensive paperweight. After investigating this further on their own message boards I found that many persons are experiencing the exact same problems without satisfaction.

I contacted WD via their 800 number and spoke to three different support techs before I received any level of assistance. My complaint is not resolved to date and I am waiting for them to decide whether or not they will issue us an RMA number for device replacement.

We could not register this device as WD's website would not allow us access to their registration page after several tries. They were advised of their website difficulties yesterday and it has since been repaired.

We noted that on their website the model number listed is different than the number printed on the back of her device and that there is no model listed

with her numbers. However, they would not volunteer this information to me when I spoke with them and I found out about this after checking their website later that day.

I do not doubt that if this were an automobile the government would insist they recall these expensive, defective models.

Had an Experience with Western Digital?

Comments

Douglas, Michigan, United States #20128

I am having same experience and lost all my photos! WD harddrive shouldn't be in the market!