Got a new 1 TB Western Digital external hard drive, the My Book Essentials with Smartware. Smartware really $ucks It is painfully slow, hangs, crashes a lot & takes forever to switch tabs looong hour glass no way to verify if the backup is good.
This “SmartWare” is Western Digital’s attempt to introduce their backup
and security solution onto unsuspecting consumers. You know about it
because it is prominently advertised as a great new feature but you are
in for a rude awakening if you have no need for it and want to delete
it and claim back precious disk space. The software appears on your
desktop as a separate volume. Don’t want to use it or see it, let’s
just remove it… whoops, it’s back, WTF is that about.
You have to run two separate apps that you can download from their
site. One is to update the drive’s firmware first and the second app
allows you to hide and unhide the volume. Backup and security software
is supposed to run silently in the background. It needs to stay out of
your way not jump in your face, are you listening Western Digital. This
is what happens when proprietary gear heads get locked together in a
dark room. A monkey with a Ouija board could have seen the backlash
with a bonehead decision like this. If there wasn’t a backlash why
would they provide software to hide the volume.
Funny how the marketing group decided to exclude this little tidbit of
information from consumers.
The software total junk - hope the drive is reliable, use windows back up
More Review Details
- Product or service
- External Hard Drive
- Review category
- Gadgets and Accessories
You May Also Like
- "Well, i just bought a powerbank 20000mah from lazada. I was very ecstatic after receiving it day ago but after peeling the cover tape of my powerbank I found out..."
- " I've purchased from Gearbest.com in March 04th, 2016 this Blue RC Car (model Wltoys A949)(http://www.gearbest.com/rc-cars/pp_227253.html) but they just sent me a different Blue RC Car. So, I..."
- "Date: Sep 23, 2015 Perk: Early Bird - 200 cm 1 Brand New MicFlip Cable ( 200 cm length ) FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING Estimated Delivery Date: Sep 15, 2015 Contribution Amount: Early Bird..."
- "1. Rented a Thrifty car online 1 week in advance. 2. Next day received email with 25% discount offer so made new reservation online. Attempted to cancel 1st reservation but system..."
- "Hello from Amazon.com. We can certainly understand your concerns about this claim being closed. However, as stated in our previous message, regarding 1x4-1726519-22xxx69: The seller who fulfilled this order indicates no return has been..."
- "Check out this FPL repair job on a residential 200 amp underground service wire (see attached photo). We ran across this and figured that this shoddy repair work, clearly made..."
- "I ordered my brother a custom tshirt for his 60th birthday.His party is this weekend.I received the shirt but the image did not come out well.I contacted them and sent..."
- "I went on to order 2 pieces of pet fillable jewelry for my 2 kids. 1 boy 1 girl. I ordered this keychain for my son it was on sale..."
- "Don't be fulled by O2pure TV commercial. They are a scam! Nothing is free obviously but they really try to pull a fast one on you. DO NEVER give your..."